Continuing Education For Coaches
The NICA Coach Licensing Program strives to ensure that coaches are sufficiently knowledgeable so as to have a positive impact on NICA student-athletes. The Professional Development requirements are intended to help NICA coaches advance their education and knowledge in topics that will help them become a more effective coach.
Once a coach holds a NICA Coaches License, they are required to obtain Continuing Education Units (Continuing Education Units) in order to maintain their license as current. A Level 2 License needs 3 CEUs every three (3) years and Level 3 License needs 9 CEUs every three (3) years.
NICA/League Provided CEUs:
- Any in-person or online Leaders’ Summit taken after Level 3 requirements are fulfilled. (CEUs vary based on the length of the summit)
- OTB 201 Courses – 5 CEUs
- OTB 101 Course if taken a second time – 3 CEUs
- Taking the NICA Adventure Coach 1 Quality Coaching course worth 2 CEUs
- Taking the NICA Coach Licensing Level 1 course for 2 CEUs, if the coach is a level 2 or 3 coach in the current season or last season
- Taking the NICA Coach Licensing Level 2 course for 4 CEUs, if the coach is a level 3 coach in the current season or last season
Outside of NICA CEU Opportunities:
- NFHSlearn.com course 1 Clock Hour = 1 CEU (free)
- Positive Coaching Alliance course 1 CEU for each course (NICA coach discounts available)
- TrueSport course 1 CEU for each course (NICA coach discounts available) TrueSport is extending a 20% off discount code for the four-course bundle to all NICA coaches and members. Please fill out the Coach Benefit Request Form for a discount code. Each completed course qualifies for 1 CEU
- Coeus to register for CEU courses, view free course previews, receive updates when new courses become available, and access all the free resources Coeus has to offer.
- REI To find your nearest REI Outdoor School programming, click here
- Teacher Development courses provided by schools or outside providers such as Ladies Allride, Trek Dirt Series, Ninja Series, and BICP or PMIBA courses
- Coaching Licenses from organizations outside of NICA can be shared with Mike McGarry, at firstname.lastname@example.org, they will be reviewed and awarded CEUs
NICA will accept many of the same professional development and CEU requirements that teachers and coaches have through other organizations. They will just need to reach out to the Coach Licensing Help Desk to have their course reviewed.