While the CEU (Continuing Education Units) requirement for level 2 and 3 coaches have been in place for over 3 years now, this is the first time that many coaches will need CEUs to maintain their licenses. Once a coach holds a NICA Coaches License, they are required to obtain Continuing Education Units in order to maintain their license as current. Level 2 License needs 3 CEUs every Three (3) years and Level 3 License needs 9 CEUs every Three (3) years (in addition to maintaining their First Aid and CPR certifications).
NICA/League Provided CEUs:
- Any in-person or online Leaders’ Summit (CEUs vary based on the length of the summit)
- OTB 201 Courses – 5 CEUs
- OTB 101 Course if taken a second time – 3 CEUs
- Taking the NICA Coach Licensing Level 1 course for 2 CEUs, if the coach is a level 2 or 3 coach in the current season or last season
- Taking the NICA Coach Licensing Level 2 course for 4 CEUs, if the coach is a level 3 coach in the current season or last season
Outside of NICA CEU Opportunities:
- NFHSlearn.com course 1 CEU for each course (free)
- Positive Coaching Alliance course 1 CEU for each course (NICA coach discounts available)
- TrueSport course 1 CEU for each course (NICA coach discounts available) TrueSport is extending a 20% off discount code for the four-course bundle to all NICA coaches and members. Please fill out the Coach Benefit Request Form for a discount code. Each completed course qualifies for 1 CEU
- Coeus to register for CEU courses, view free course previews, receive updates when new courses become available, and access all the free resources Coeus has to offer.
- REI To find your nearest REI Outdoor School programming, click here
- Teacher Development courses provided by schools or outside providers such as Ladies Allride, Trek Dirt Series, Ninja Series, and BICP or PMIBA courses
- Coaching Licenses from organizations outside of NICA can be shared with Mike McGarry, at firstname.lastname@example.org, they will be reviewed and awarded CEUs
NICA will accept many of the same professional development and CEU requirements that teachers and coaches have through other organizations. They will just need to reach out to email@example.com to have their course reviewed.