NICA Coach Education Requirements
NICA’s high-quality coach training equips volunteers to confidently lead and create amazing experiences for youth mountain biking teams. NICA’s coach education uses best practices in youth development to provide valuable, relevant, and inspiring education for coaches across all of our leagues.
Coaches can be licensed at three levels, with varying roles and responsibilities for their teams. From Level 1 ride-along volunteers to Level 3 head coaches and team leaders, all NICA coaches are essential to the success of our programs. Coaches change lives through their work with youth!
To become a licensed NICA coach, all volunteers complete the following:
- Annual registration, including a participation agreement and fee, liability waiver, and code of conduct*
- A background check - facilitated by Sterling Volunteers
- Training in concussion protocols and athlete abuse awareness
- A course overview of NICA’s philosophy, culture, and risk management
- Training specific to license level (see below)
QUICK VIEW: License Requirements by Level
Each license also requires specialized training to fit the roles and responsibilities of each level:
Mouse-over, click, or touch cards to flip...
Level 1 coaches are ride supporters and volunteers who assist Level 2 and 3 coaches at practices and events.
Level 2 coaches are ride leaders and take on greater responsibility for skills training and leading groups of student-athletes through practices and events.
Level 3 coaches are experienced leaders who plan, facilitate, and execute practices and team events, often taking on the role of head coach within their teams.
In addition to the NICA coach requirements above, Level 3 Coach training includes:
Navigating NICA’s Coach Education Requirements
Coach requirements are housed in two primary locations: Pit Zone and the NICA Coach Education Center.
NICA’s Pit Zone registration system is where coaches can complete the following:
- Register as a coach (invite from team is required)
- Sign the annual waiver and code of conduct
- Pay the annual coach license fee
- Submit a background check request
- View your coach profile to see your license status
- Log in to the NICA coach education center to access courses, resources, and benefits
NICA COACH EDUCATION CENTER
To access the Coach Education Center, log into Pit Zone first, and click the Courses, Resources, & Benefits button. Within the Education Center, coaches can access:
- Online required coach courses such as concussion training, athlete abuse awareness, NICA philosophy and risk management, and coach license level courses
- Coach resource library (templates, guidelines, and more)
- Coach benefits and discount codes/instructions
- Online NICA CEU courses
Have questions about a specific coach license requirement?
Waivers, adult code of conduct, & background checks
Philosophy & Risk Management, Coach Level courses, concussion course
Level 2 and 3 requirements for First Aid and CPR courses
Self-reporting your NICA Field Work Hours for Level 2 & 3
Online classroom course & in-person skills clinic
Opportunities to extend learning in coaching best-practices
In-person and online workshops specific for NICA coach leaders
Still have questions? Visit the NICA Coach Help Desk for support
Support for our coaches
The success of NICA programs depend on the work of coaches across all of our leagues. NICA coaches are supported by both league and national staff:
NICA’s coach education team supports coaches by:
- Providing support for NICA’s online coach training via the Coach Help Desk
- Facilitating year-round Online Leaders’ Summit workshops
- Supporting league coach training and development
- Creating coach resources, templates, and ongoing education opportunities